Work Visas

Work Visas Attorney Bridgeport CT

E-1 visa: Treaty traders

E-2 visa: Treaty investors

L-1A visa: Intracompany transfer of manager or executive

L-1B visa: Intracompany transfer of persons with specialized knowledge

O-1 visa: Persons with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business or athletic and motion picture or TV production

R-1 visa: Religious workers

The United States houses thousands of foreign workers across a number of employment fields every year. A work visa or work permit is a generic term for a legal authorization giving permission to work in a country where one does not hold citizenship.

Typically, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either for temporary or permanent residence. Temporary worker visas are for persons who want to enter the United States for employment lasting for a fixed period of time and are not considered permanent or indefinite.

It is very common to not be certain about what you need to do, or what type of visa to apply for, when bringing a non-US national to work for you because there are almost 60 different types of temporary visas.

Additionally, the U.S. government has several routes for getting permanent residence for foreigners, the most commonly mentioned, being a “green card.”

However, there are 5 main ways an individual can obtain residency and work authorization in the United States:

  1. Sponsorship by an employer
  2. Investment
  3. Sponsorship by a close family member in the United States
  4. Diversity Visa Lottery Program
  5. Asylum & refugee status
Need Legal Assistance?
Contact Us Today